Monday 12 December 2011

One ‘Occupy’ movement that never shook the world!!


A somewhat balmy Saturday afternoon in September, I was about to doze off and my phone beeped. The reflex action outpaced my unwillingness and I picked up the phone. It was my friend. “Hey whatz up dude?”, before I could answer anything, he continued “I would be at your place in 7 minutes, there is an emergency and would need your support” and hung up. 

Not giving me any time for the clean-up of my drawing room, my friend rushed at my place in less than 7 minutes!!! I was completely taken aback by the uncharacteristic enthusiasm he showed that day. I realized there has to be something really urgent. “Are you 1% or 99 % ?”. Not bothering to wait for my answer, he said, “Many people are occupying Wall Street and are gathering in Zuccotti Park”. 

Information was travelling faster than the fastest neutrino and I was completely bamboozled with the speed. Just to change the pace, I asked “what you would prefer water or something cold”…“I want you to come with me and join Rambo (one of our mutual friends) and others”…Oh hell, all my efforts seemed to fail, everybody has a bad day I consoled myself. “What has hit Rambo? And what is happening on this Sunday, what do you want from me, where do I come” I fired my first salvo!! I was just returning the favor I thought.

“Rambo and bunch of guys have decided that ‘we’ll go to the mattresses’ and would occupy our neighboring park in support of ‘Occupy Wall Street Movement” my friend replied. Not letting the clichéd phrase from ‘The Godfather’ amuse me, I asked, “What the hell is this movement?” where ignorance is bliss it is folly to be wise I thought. Since Rambo was always associated with pecuniary matters, there was nothing surprising in this call. 

My question achieved what I wanted. It slowed down the pace of events and allowed me to get some breather. For the next 2 hours I was listening to the exhaustive information on ‘Occupy Wall Street’ movement and how there is a growing difference in wealth in the U.S. between the wealthiest 1% and the rest of the population, what we are 99% means etc..

“So my friend, Rambo will address us tomorrow evening about the further plan. We are gathering at the neighboring park, I need you there to show our support to this movement”. I was completely mesmerized with the very idea of the movement and was ready to have my share in creating history.
Late Sunday afternoon, I jogged to the neighboring park and found few blokes of the Rambo gang loitering around, I joined the bandwagon. Soon my friend joined and the air filled with excitement. We were on our way to create history. However the main piece of this entire jig-saw puzzle, ‘Rambo’ was still missing! We all were waiting with baited breath for his arrival. The incessant calls to Rambo yielded very little and we decided to help ourselves with cup of tea and sandwiches.  

While sipping the piping hot tea and gorging on the freshly prepared, made to order sandwiches, we were having animated discussions about our planned movement and the torch bearer of the movement- Rambo. Then came the breaking news “Rambo was spotted in nearby mall with wife in tow”!!! That left everybody steaming..how could he do it? Abusing Rambo to no end, with another helping of ginger tea, we dragged ourselves home. 

For next few days I kept waiting for my friend to return. Neither did he return to my place nor did I remember to call him.

These memories of missed opportunity to create history came calling in, when I read the news hitting the headlines about ‘Occupy Dalal Street’ movement. The credit to asphyxiate this historical movement in our neighboring park goes to Rambo’s wife I sighed. What no government could achieve, Rambo’s wife achieved in jiffy!! For she not only killed our movement but also extinguished all the chances of our neighboring park sharing the same space alongside Zuccotti Park in the aisles of history. The list of ‘Global Occupy Protest Locations’ lost one of the most historic entries ever.

2 comments:

  1. What a great loss of Occupy Movement!!

    Nice narration..

    ReplyDelete
  2. incidental movements never succeed

    kamalakant

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year